“It’s strange being rich.”
I was at a networking dinner with a 42 year old SaaS founder.
He had just sold his company. For an eye-popping $70 million.
Yet he was busier than ever.
Setting up trusts, implementing tax-loss harvesting and hiring a house manager.
But his biggest worry:
“Will someone marry my kids for money?”
His kids are 10 and 12.
When perfect (is not perfect)
Consider this thought experiment.
You and I both aspire to lead rich and fulfilling lives.
Some might even say perfect lives.
Let’s imagine that you worked assiduously to get that perfect life.
You have the perfect job.
Impactful, high-paying and the ability to be hybrid.
You had the perfect home.
Massive square footage, impeccably furnished and immaculately clean.
You had the perfect spouse.
Smart, sexy and a wonderful co-parent.
You had the perfect body.
Low BMI, 6-pack abs and a full head of hair.
Things are perfect. Or are they?
Just like the guy with $70 million who’s scared that he’ll have to fend off gold diggers – have you created a new set of worries?
Perfect is impermanent
Congrats, you’ve achieved this perfect life.
Your prize? You need to maintain it.
You’ve got to hire cleaners and landscapers.
You’re always checking your email to ensure that you’re performing at the highest-level.
You’re scared to sit on your Eames chair for fear of scratching it.
You’re constantly working out to keep that 6-pack.
Heck, if your spouse is such a catch – you’re nervous that they’re being hit on by other younger, more attractive suitors.
And these are the things that you can control.
It doesn’t account for aging parents, kids getting teased in school, male pattern baldness and some friends deciding you’re too bougie for them.
So you’re faced with a choice
Do you fight the impermanence of perfection by adding more? By doing more?
Or do you surrender to the fact perfection just existed in a single point of of time.
And that it was an illusion this entire time.
Here’s how we can help you:
- The Life Operating System: Your home base for personal productivity. It combines tasks, notes, project management and a CRM in one place.
- Supercharge your Productivity: Learn how our $10K Work method can help you improve your mind, career and relationships.
- Apply for our Group Coaching: Are you an executive or founder undergoing a career change? We’ll give you frameworks and accountability for this transition.
- Download the Rad Friends podcast: Every week we ponder one of life’s thorniest questions.
- Train Your Team on $10K Work: Is your team busy, but without much to show for it? Teach your colleagues how to prioritize and identify leverage in your organization.